Sunday, October 21, 2007

Ch-ch-changes...


I learned new skills this weekend! I learned how to solder collage pendants. I am so very happy. I know they are rough and not perfect but they mean so much to me. I love learning, whether it's jewelry or science or whatever. Just to learn something and mastering a new skill is so exciting. It feels like growth and renewal!




The class I took was with Margy Ledward at the Kapolei Bead It. I learned how to cut glass, use flux, and solder. The hardest part was coming up with a design to sandwich between the glass. Margy is such a great teacher and an overall very cool and fun lady!

Out of all the jewelry fabricating skills, I enjoy working with heat and metal the most. For me, it is extrememly satisfying. I just get such a kick out of it!

I was afraid I wouldn't be able to pick up tools for this new skill for awhile and of course, it's killing me that I can't make more right this minute! But I've found an online shop that sells the supplies I will need and at a great price, too! I cannot wait to start making these. Hopefully, I can add these to my shop for Christmas!

Speaking of shop, my little shop is going through some changes. After an impromptu critique last Friday during one of Etsy's critique workshops, I decided to make a few changes. Some are changes I have been wanting to incorporate and others I am not so sure about. And I'm not so sure that making major changes right before the holidays is a good idea. But what the heck?! Why NOT, right?

My sales are okay. I want them to be better though! I take my own photos and have always been complimented on them. Yet, I still feel that I should be able to push them to the next level. I've also asked one of my favorite Etsy sellers for a bit of critique/mentorship, too. She mentioned that I might want to concentrate on how I am writing my listings. I admit, I am a lazy lister!

Well, so much to do! Which means I better get off this computer and head to my workbench. Next Saturday, October 27th, the Etsy Hawaii street team will be setting up booth at the Aloha Stadium swap meet! I have some making to do!

Come see us there. If you can't make it, don't worry! I'll be sure to take lots of photos!

No comments: